Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Transcript. Corman. ReservoirDogs1992.DVD.SE.Artisan.


1.      My father was an engineer, and I went to college toStanford as anEngineeringmajor, feeling I would follow in his footsteps. It wasn't until my senioryear that I realised that Engineering was not for me, and I was interested inFilms. But I could start over and take another major and spent extra year in college or I could just graduate. I thought, I just want to get out of here, I want to graduate. Theonlyjob I could get, because Hollywood was verytough place to get a job in those days, was as a messenger atFox. Started as a messenger, worked my way up as a storyanalyst, and they reallywanted me to go toEurope. And I had some time onGIBill, so I went toOxford onGIBill, traveled aroundEurope, came back, got a job as a literary agent, and wrote and sold my own script. And I offered to work for a producer [gratis] for nothing as an associateproducer to learn and to get the credit, so that when the picture was over, I would be able to say, I was a writerproducer. I rasied twelvethousandUSD partly from my sale of the script and partly from the gusy I went to school with, and madeMonsterFromOcean'sFloor plus a little money and firmament [?], and I neverlooked back. Omitted.
2.      I actually have lost count how many films I have produced. I know a little more about how many I have directed. I think I directed a little bit less than sixty, maybe fiftyseven, fiftyeight films, something like that. As to how many films I've produced, I don't even know myself, because sometimes I've done coproductions overseas,  whether I should count those or not. But assuming I count those, as coproducer, producing for somebodyelse, I think it's around fourhundredsandfifty or a little more. We're shooting at the moment, so it will go up onemore within a couple of weeks. Omitted.
3.      These days, I'm known mostly as a producer, but when I was a primarily a director, which was the latefifties and through thesixties and up until around ninetyseventy or so, I was considered okay. Particularly inEurope. FrenchNewWavecritics, some of them became directors, picked up on [discussed] my work before the critics in theUnitedStates. FromParis toLondon, the english critics, wrote good things about it. And, eventually, a couple of american critics said that, Okay, this guy is okay. Omitted.
4.      If I were talking to a young filmmaker who had started and was interested in how his career was going to progress, I would guide his career, I would say the numberonerule is to do your best on every project. When I started, I knew we were doing essentially lowbudgetBpictures. Now, if you're brilliant, you may jump on your first try or your second try. But, normally, you do a film, a number of films, and work up, assuming you're on that path. I would say, Turn down the absolute losers, Don't get involved with anything that you know is going to be bad. But, if it has any chance, do the film, and do it the best you can. The guys that I knew who would take lowbudgetfilms and say, Well, it's just a cheap film, I'm just going to knock it off. I'll get money. Those guys are out of the business today. The ones who took lowbudgetfim that seemed to have limited potential, but who said, I will make thebestfilm on this subject I possibly can, those are the ones who have built their careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment