Monday, January 25, 2016

Christine Haughney. An example of a day of a rich heiress. NYT. 03 Aug 2012.




Katrina vanden Heuvel, the editor and publisher of The Nation magazine, works out at the Ansonia. Credit Asmita Parelkar for The New York Times

Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and publisher of The Nation magazine, spends Sundays trying to take a break from the demands of her job. Ms. vanden Heuvel, 52, lives on the Upper West Side with her husband, Stephen Cohen, 73, a professor emeritus of Russian studies at N.Y.U. and Princeton University; their daughter, Nicola, 21, who is known as Nika, is entering her senior year at Princeton.

SOX AT THE DOOR I get up about 8:30 a.m. I have a crazy cat named Sox. She will often wake me up. She’s outside the door crying because she wants to be fed. I will feed her. I will make myself an instant espresso with some cream. I might have some orange juice and take some vitamins.
PEACE AND QUIET Too much of my week is filled with meetings. To have a few hours alone is blissful. I am sitting there with the front section of The New York Times and The Washington Post.
PHYSIQUE 57 CLASS It’s kind of a workout with ballet elements. I do it at the Ansonia, which is where I was sent for ballet classes, which I was bad at. So I feel like there is redemption. My sister and I were always the runts at the class.

Ms. vanden Heuvel with her cat, Sox. Credit Asmita Parelkar for The New York Times

SNACKS AND COFFEE I have an addiction to Tasti D-Lite. I get a pint of peanut butter fudge with a side of cones. I will get two strong coffees at Silver Moon Bakery. I will walk the block to get an oat bran bagel. If my husband is up, I will see if he wants a bagel. I will bring them home and, over the course of the day, drink them. It’s really not very elegant. But there it is.
WALK AND CHAT If it’s a decent day, my husband and I always take a walk in Riverside Park. We do that around 2 p.m. We walk and talk about the week. We talk about everything from, you know, how our daughter is doing to his grandson. Or we will talk about the state of Russian politics, or we will argue about Obama.
SNACKS, CONTINUED When we get back from the walk, we have lunch. I’m eating my Tasti D-Lite and finishing my bagel. My husband is eating probably a sandwich. The cat emerges around lunchtime because she gets a slice of turkey around 3:30 p.m.

Ms. vanden Heuvel lives on the Upper West Side with her husband, Stephen Cohen. Here, they walk in Riverside Park with their daughter, Nika. Credit Asmita Parelkar for The New York Times

READING, WORKING We will both kind of hang out. I will go read a few pages of a book that I’m in the middle of. I will catch up on stuff that I didn’t get to in the middle of the week. I’m also drafting a weekly column for washingtonpost.com. By Sunday, I’m going to close it out by late afternoon.
DRINKS AND DINNER When it’s not warm, I will make myself a vodka with a little olive juice. We have about five different kinds of vodka in our freezer. It’s like a not-very-well-done dirty martini. We will do Chinese, maybe pizza and salad, Indian or sushi. I will have a big dinner and a couple of glasses of wine. We set it up so it’s kind of elegant, even though it’s takeout. My husband is a basketball fanatic. If it’s a big game, we will be watching that. I will tweet if we’re watching basketball.
THE SHOWS We’ve been watching back-to-back “Nurse Jackie,” “The Big C,” “Veep” and “Girls.” I check some e-mail and I try not to do e-mail too close to bedtime because there’s bound to be something that will agitate me. I try valiantly to read some light stuff as I’m in bed.
MORE READING I get in bed around 11. But I go to sleep maybe 11:30, maybe midnight. I blame my daughter, because she has a subscription to Us Weekly. I inhale Us Weekly. I finish up some sections of the paper. If I’m reading a book, I will read another 15 to 20 pages. I have Robert Caro’s book. I think that high-low between Us Weekly and Robert Caro soothes the brain.

#sundayroutine: Readers can follow Katrina vanden Heuvel on Twitter on Sunday at @KatrinaNation.

A version of this article appears in print on August 5, 2012, on page MB2 of the New York edition with the headline: Peace, Quiet and a Frozen Dessert. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment