Friday, January 8, 2016

Loyalty & Betrayal, The Story of the American Mob. Part 6. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. 25 Jul 1994.




Salerno: The generation gap that began to creep into the organised Crime and only widened was the fact that the older men who had made many millions had a tendency to say, Let’s stay away from Narcotics. It’s bad Publicity. It’s bad News. Stay away from it.

Leonetti: Drugs, sure, we could have done a lot better. But my uncle always concerned how the People in the Genovese Family would feel about that. He knew they were dead against it. And he always made sure nobody in our Family fooled for Drugs. You put the Rule down. You can shake People down – because you can shake Drug Peoples down for big Money – but you cannot steal the Drugs and sell them. [Accurate.] We can steal the Money, he told them, but not the Drug.

Montiglio: The older guys, whom we referred to as the Moustache Pete, that School is dead now, because it used to be very Disciplined. They stuck to the Rules. They were very cheap. They had a saying, Keep them down, keep them hungry, keep them working for you. And the Drug Business opened them a whole new horizon.

Salerno: In the generation gap, the young guys are saying, Sure, they had made all their Money, and they’re going to deny us a chance to catch up to them. That’s why they want us to stay away from Narcotics. So that was a general Rule that a lot of the young men decided to violate.

Narrator: For a good reason, Money. Drugs are making other people rich. The Rules are working great for the bosses, not for the guys on the Street.

Montiglio: I just wasn’t getting enough Money to survive. I had another child on the way. I had two kids, and he was paying me like $250 a week. And we’re talking about putting hand grenades in People’s car, running around gunning down People in the street, for $250 a week.

Beattie: I had grandmothers, ladies with blue hair, driving big Electric 225 Buick, with 800 pounds of pot in it. [unclear] was on it, spray-painted so the State Police wouldn’t see it, delivering them to my door. And I gave them an enveloppe, 500, 1500, or whatever you agree with, then they would leave. This was like three times a week. These were grandmothers. These People were People I’ve never seen again, thank God. I knew it was somebody’s grandmother. They had nets on their head. They were looking over their sterring wheel. The cops would never stop them. We used to bring them up and down the Turnpikes all the Time like that. You want the car? Unload it. You can take the car with you. We didn’t even want the cars. I wanted to open the damned car lot, I had so many cars from smuggling Drugs up. We were giving cars away for Christmas presents. And you asked me it affected everybody? Everybody that was affected was making Money. Now that the monster is here, nobody wants to pay for it, but it’s here. Now what do you do with it?

Reagan: We’ve stopped the American free-fall into the Drug-pit. We’re getting our footing to climb out.

Narrator: Far from climbing out, the Mob is sinking fast. Mobsters are not only selling dope, they’re shooting it. Forget Discipline, forget Restraint, forget Loyalty. For these kind of dough, People will do anything.

Leonetti: As Things started evolving and changing, People who started to dealing with Drugs changed. It’s not like it was in the old days.

Montiglio: I would stay up three or four days at a time, doing cocaine, not eating, drinking Jack Daniels, and doing Wobblies.

Beattie: I was snorting the same cocaine that I was selling. Doing the same quaaelude.

Montiglio: It gets pretty hairy, because you start to hallucinate. [Accurate.]

Beattie: It got worse with the bodies. As the bodies came, cocaine got worse.

Montiglio: Guns become a very big part of your life. You’re always with guns, and ready to shoot.

Beattie: Where I would carry a vial, I was carying around ounces. Constantly reload, constantly drinking, which destroyed the West Side, by far. All of them became Drug-addicts.

Montiglio: The more you do, the worse it gets.

Beattie: They would kill People and get high, or get high and kill People, or whatever you did. [omitted] It’s become too fast. Getting chased out of the Waters outside of Miami. I was chased by helicopters. We jumped out of boats. Horrendous, horrendous stuff. But it was kind of action-packed, so it was kind of Fun at the same time. I really pumped jump. Today, Holy Jesus. I felt like that movie, Miami Vice after a while. I started to live that life.

Leonetti: It’s good to watch, but when you’re involved in it, you have to go out, pull the trigger and blow somebody’s brains out. That’s not much Glamour in there. You’re the guy who gets indicted and goes to Jail. They can turn the channel off and watch the different show when the person goes to Jail or gets the Electric Chair. You’re the guy who has to go through it. You’re the guy who lives it. [omitted] A lot of the guys, when we started shaking down Drug-dealers and bookmakers and loansharks, Come right to the hangouts. They said, Look, I’m going into Business. Here, I want to start paying. I want no problem with you guys. That’s how scared they were of us, because we were killing everybody. Everybody was being killed, no matter who they were.

Beattie: Everybody had contracts on everybody in the Group at that time. They were going to kill me, they were going to kill him, they were going to kill each other. They started killing each other. Things got really nuts.

Montiglio: You walked in. You got shot in the head with a silencer. Somebody wrapped a towel around your head to stop the blood from going all over the place. Chris would jump out with his underwear, because he didn’t like to get his clothes dirty, and he’d stab in the heart to stop the heart from pumping so the blood would stop. [Saved.] You were hung upside down in the shower. The neck was cut, starting in the back, all the way around here. Bleed you in the shower for about 40 minutes. And they have pool tarpaulin and regular butcher kits, with saws the butcher uses and a hatchet. They had it down to a Science. [omitted] Once they wanted you found. And they didn’t care who it was. They got to a point they didn’t care who they were killing. [omitted] You had five or six serial killers in one crew. These were legitimate serial killers. I’m talking up to 100 [homo sapiens] a piece. It kinds of gets you after a while, because every time you go walk in there to collect money, you say, I wonder I’m going to walk out of here tonight.

Beattie: I sat in the tub for 4 hours. Stark naked with two guys, silencer pointed at my face with hoods on. Jimmy Coonan and Eddie Kaminsky. And I asked them, What did I do to deserve this? I’m earning you Money. No, it’s nothing personal. It’s not you. We’re waiting for Patty Dougan to come.
 
Montiglio: And then all the People in our own crew started to disappear. It wasn’t like they were out to kill. They started killing each other. So it just got too insane.

Beattie: Women walking in the Street, waiting for the husbands to come home that weren’t coming home no more. That wasn’t easy to deal with. [omitted] It was disturbing to see Jimmy Coonan pick these babies up, and hold them and play with them. I used to look at him, and said, How can this guy? He just cut somebody’s fucking hand or his head in his hand. He’s playing with his kids. How do you live with that? I couldn’t live with that. I refused to live with that. That was my cop-out to Drugs. You learned to escape. [omitted] But how can a sane person, a supposedly sane person go kill somebody and not get drunk? How do you live with the fact that you severed somebody’s head off? I saw them cut a man’s head off. [Accurate.] [omitted] But it happened so fast, and I saw the look in Jimmy Coonan’s face, I knew my days were numbered. He was not going to allow me to go and have this over his head. [omitted] Coonan instructed Mickey, Billy’s got to go, I want him out. So they put a contract on the Street on me.

Montiglio: I was accused of dealing heroin, and in our Family that’s a death sentence. [omitted] And on the way home, Nino told me, he says, You know, if you weren’t my nephew, they would have found you on the Street already, and you just keep on messing up. And he just gave me that look. And I had no intention of not keeping on messing up, because I was going to go out and make my own Money. At that time, I figured either I stay and I’ll ask a few of them once, and they’re going to kill me, or I take off and I go.


Beattie: I had made Peace with the face that I was dying anyway. But I made Peace with that fact early in life when I became a criminal and Drug-dealer and burglar. It was obvious I wasn’t going to live long, because we were dealing this dead man’s hand. Everyone around me was dying.
\

Narrator: Mob guys dead. Discipline dead. Loyalty dead. Nobody’s safe anymore. Not even the bosses.

No comments:

Post a Comment